I hate bronies=I hate gamer girls
they’re ruining a safe space for girls=they’re ruining a hobby for men
they’re perverted and obnoxious=they’re slutty and obnoxious
There is no difference. I defy you to name one. If you complain about gamer girls, you are no better than complaining about bronies, and vice versa.
Right, because “perverted and obnoxious” in a “safe space for girls” (and let’s make the very important note that’s it’s generally *young* girls here) is really equivalent to “slutty and obnoxious” in a “hobby for men” (who are presumably grown men, or else why aren’t you saying boys when MLP was for girls?).
Let’s be real, perverting something in a safe space for little girls vs. being slutty while sharing a hobby? Not the same thing.
Oh and - a hobby and a safe space are COMPLETELY not even close to being the same thing. What the hell?
Let’s take a look at this
- I hate gamer girls = I hate a significant portion of the gaming community based on an idea that they are either inferior or faking interest.
- I hate bronies = I hate the inappropriate culture of men that has grouped together to pervert a show for girls into pornographic man-feeling-catering bullshit.
- They’re ruining a hobby for men = A market that is overall gender-neutral is automatically perceived for men, and they don’t want women welcome to their party (despite women taking part in video games since the beginning)
- They’re ruining a safe space for girls = Literally invading a nurturing culture for girls with pornography and constant catering to male gaze and opinions, which girls and women are already subject to constantly
- They’re slutty and obnoxious = Men’s perception of these women is based on essentially how the women speak and dress, which men let determine how much they respect her. The objectification of these women is entirely on the men viewing her. Her very existence, even while not doing anything, is obnoxious.
- They’re perverted and obnoxious = Men are sexualizing a show for little girls, actively filling the internet with objectifying and degrading images of characters meant to instill self-worth in young girls. Their constant denial of the harm this causes and refusal to let girls and women have something of their own is obnoxious in a way that most interactions with sexist men are.
Tl:dr - the stigma against “gamer girls” is based on a false perception of the validity of said woman’s interest in games.
The stigma against bronies is because bronies are actively sexualizing, objectifying, and degrading every aspect of the show in such a way as to ruin something that would otherwise bolster self esteem in young girls.
You’re missing the point. I’m not saying these things are literally the same. I’m saying you should never make generalizations about gender/interests. A man can like My Little Pony without wanting to have sex with a horse and a girl can like video games without being a “poser”.
No, I understand the point.
The important thing to know, though, is that one generalization is to put down an oppressed group and actively keep them out of otherwise open spaces.
The other generalization is to act as a warning to other people of an overly poisonous environment that is notorious for being violently misogynistic.
And it’s also important to note, “Brony” is a term somebody chooses for themselves, even when faced with the fact that the word Brony has been tarnished beyond redemption. Girl gamer is a state of being.
I don’t see the difference between “girl gamer” and “brony”. ”Brony” literally means a man who likes My Little Pony and is older than 10. That’s as much a state of being as a woman who likes video games.
I don’t consider myself to be a part of the fandom, but I do really like the show and when people say it’s wrong for me to enjoy it it hurts slightly, but what really hurts for me is when I see these same people complain about different gender stereotypes as though they’re not guilty of the same crime. I’ve seen bronies complain about gamer girls and vice versa and it’s annoying as hell.
You know what you could call yourself other than brony?
LITERALLY anything else.
People don’t judge people who like My Little Pony, they judge people who willingly ascribe to the term brony knowing the context and history behind it.
If people were to take this approach to current events it would be just as stupid.
"Oh yeah there’s nothing wrong with being in the KKK! I just have a lot of white pride!"
"Uh dude no they’ve killed so many people and are incredibly racist."
"Yeah but I didn’t do it, and plus that stuff happened in the past. It’s not good to generalize people.”
You cannot ignore context when it comes to power dynamics.
Girl gamers are just girls who play games. Any games. Their existence makes people angry.
Bronies are people (largely men) who choose to be called bronies and are responsible for (I don’t feel this is an overreach here) all of the degrading sexist and racist MLP material.
All you have to do to avoid brony stigma is stop calling yourself a brony.
All I have to do to avoid girl gamer stigma is stop being a girl.